Monday, June 9, 2008

here comes the rain again...

I quoted the Eurythmics all day today because the weather mirrored my mood. A light smattering of rain droplets followed by 30 seconds of sunshine, followed by violent downpours, followed by thirty seconds more of sunshine, followed by torrential downpours complete with gusts of wind and lakes in the parking lot.

I honestly wish I didn't dread work. I'm trying to let everything roll off me because this isn't really worth all the energy. I can't live at this volume. It's just not worth it. I'm done in two and a half months and then I'm off to bigger and better things that I'm actually meant to do. So I'll just do what I do. They can't fire me so...

Been wandering around myspace, stumbling upon people from high school. About 65% of the people I saw were married and/or had at least one child, most had two or were pregnant with their first. I know I write about this kind of crap a lot, but seriously... when will it stop being scandalous in my mind to find out about pregnancies and marriages of people I grew up with? It's not entirely uncommon. I'm 23 years old. We're hurtling into our mid-twenties, and these are the ages where I entirely expected marriage and babies to appear.

Maybe I still think of all of us as 16 still... I remember them only within the context of high school, of hideous blue lockers, hallways that smelled like condiments. We're all frozen in my mind, frozen perpetually in adolescence. Life ever rolls forward and maybe one day I'll get used to this idea of adulthood, of being grown ups. We're not kids having kids anymore. Some of us used to be. But here we are.

The more I grow away from that particular zip code, the more I realize how much I can't hide where I'm from. When I first moved to Washington, I wanted so badly to be able to say I was from somewhere else other than Nevada. But now, when people ask where I'm from, I give a lineage of my residencies. It's all a part of me.

In other news: of course, after wandering downtown from work and waiting around for 20 minutes for my bus home and after a generally long day, I get on the bus behind a girl and this exchange happens between her and the bus driver:

bus driver: Hello! Oh look, Tweety!
girl: Yeah...
bus driver: (looks down. slightly alarmed look crosses his face.) Oh wow. Are you okay?
girl: Yeah. That's why I'm taking the bus to Deaconess...
bus driver: Do we need to take you to the hospital? Call you an ambulance or something?
girl: No, I've been walking with it for two days so...

I didn't see anything, but my first thought was gangrine of some limb, or perhaps a gunshot wound or some kind. I expected there to be blood everywhere. Apparently, it was a spider bite and those freak the crap out of me more than blood or gangrine. It was an interesting 5 minutes of my life.

Well. Maybe I'll have more exciting thoughts later.

No comments: